Thursday, August 17, 2006

And Now, the Book Meme

1. One book that changed your life:
*Gotta be the Bible.
2. One book that you've read more than once:
*The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Also Mary Stuart's Merlin Tetralogy and the whole Laura Ingalls Wilder Little House series. I'm not too obsessive, am I?
3. One book you'd want on a desert island:
*Chesterton's answer to this was A Practical Guide to Shipbuilding, and I guess it would be cheezy to reuse that joke; maybe a really good Desert Island field and tracking guide instead. Or at least The Klutz Book of Knots.
4. One book that made you laugh:
*Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker "trilogy." And Last Chance to See. Especially the Lithuanian ant-proof socks part.
5. One book that made you cry:
*I'm not much of a cryer--I think the closest I ever got was at the end of a stage performance of Amahl and the Night Visitors. It's been published; does that count?
6. One book that you wish had been written:
*Ceiling Fan Mechanics for Dummies. It would take too long to explain.
7. One book that you wish had never been written:
*Most of the really good answers have been given already. I suppose I could toss off The Communist Manifesto or something like that, but I'll take a different tack, even if it's kinda stupid:
Cathy Williams: From Slave to Female Buffalo Soldier looks like it ought to be a fascinating read. It might have been, in some hands other than those of the author's. There being little firsthand detail on the lady's life, he resorted to heavy extrapolation, some of which was all right but much of which was unconvincing. His history was a bit shoddy in a few places--this is the only place I've seen it suggested that Revolutionary heroine Deborah Sampson might have been black. (If she had been, groovy, but there just doesn't seem to be any evidence of it.) He was also a bit repetitious.
The author, if I remember correctly, curates a military history museum. I don't know if he's ex-active duty, but his writing style indicates to me that he is. There is a reason why the military style of writing is not encouraged outside military reports. This book exemplifies it perfectly.
8. One book you're currently reading:
*The Neandertal Enigma by James Shreeve, and Beginning to Pray by Anthony Bloom.
9. One book you've been meaning to read:
*Teilhard de Chardin's The Future of Man. Actually I've read a couple of the essays but it's ponderously slow going and I have to take notes just to keep track of what he's saying, so it may b a while before I get to it again. Also The Feeling of What Happens by Antonio Damasio.
And yes, I do know the difference between one and two. But sometimes it's so hard to choose!

Now it's my turn to tag, so I'll tag DMinor. Also Ramblingspeech and Molly R., should they ever get around to visiting again. Maybe if I send Molly those tofu recipes I promised her...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home