Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Lost in Translation

I had an errand to run this morning, and when I returned found Baby slumped on the sofa in front of one of the mind-numbing morning news magazine shows (an annoying state of affairs, to be sure!) It wasn't so bad as it turns out, because she was able to provide me with a language funny that gave me an excuse to post.

Actor Morgan Freeman was an interview subject today--not sure which program. He described his first trip to Germany, during which the friendliness--and apparent knowledge of American cinema--of the people made quite an impression.

On his first day there, Freeman walked out of his hotel room and headed down for his continental breakfast (in Germany, that would be a ham and cheese sandwich, not bad coffee and a Dolley Madison Danish in plastic.) Everyone he passed addressed him, and seemed to know his name: "Morgan." "Morgan." "Morgan." He eventually figured out what it was all about when the desk clerk greeted him: "Guten morgen."

I have to assume Freeman was not in southern Germany, where everybody would have just said "Gruss Gott" (excuse the missing umlaut, please) and there would have been no confusion.

I'll deal with that meme below later. I have a couple of rooms to paint first.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger mrsdarwin said...

Yay painting! Post some pix. :)

8:28 PM  
Blogger DMinor said...

Reminds me of that acquaintance from work, John Thomas, and my amusement at his trip to England. . . .

Regards to all

3:19 PM  
Blogger CMinor said...

Sorry, Mrs. D. I'm ashamed to admit that I'm totally dependent on D for any innovations (such as artwork)posted. I'll have to get him to do it for me.

Y'all don't really want pictures of my bathroom, do you? We did get some nice shots of a goldfinch recently...

D--you would have to go for the cheap double entendre, wouldn't you?

6:19 PM  
Blogger The Ironic Catholic said...

Ya wohl.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home