Sunday, September 10, 2006

Odds and Ends

- Overheard: - Wine is all right. God made wine.
- No man, God didn't make wine. That's something that man made. You shouldn't drink that stuff
- No, God made it. It's all right. Remember, Jesus turned water into wine at that wedding
- Yeah? But he didn't drink it.

- Pulled from wreck on local road: Man wearing T-Shirt that read "I do all my own stunts!"

- "It is the duty of France and Europe to show that the clash of civilizations is not inevitable. No one retains this wisdom, inherited from our history, as we, French and Europeans, do." -- French Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin

- and finally, from the Huffington Post, an opinion piece from noted political writer, excuse me, movie director
Rob Reiner. A question -- where were you, Rob, when Oliver Stone put out JFK, blurring the lines between reality and entertainment.

Try substituting "Oliver Stone" for "ABC" and "JFK" for "Path to 9/11," in some of the passages and see if you don't find the whole thing a bit ironic.


Is ABC [Oliver Stone] trying to say that 9/11 [the JFK assassination] wasn't dramatic enough? That they have to add dramatic scenes to this already horrific event? Are they serious?
Then we find out that these "added dramatic scenes" . . . [are] pointing the blame of the 9/11 attacks [the JFK assassination] at President Clinton [Nixon] and his cabinet members.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Des Catolos said...

I don't know if it is a sin, in some degree, to drink wine if you can't sleep. I have some sleep disorder and cheap wines (since I can't afford high quality wines, obviusly) is always my last line of defense against the attack of sleeplesness. I've been into cheap wines just for this very purpose, not to indulge myself whatsoever because I thought liqour is an absolute no no in the christian way of living compared to wines, which is quite permitable. Jesus never drink wines, but perhaps He will allow me to get some when I need to get some sleep? (stupid question I know:)

desmond

2:12 AM  
Blogger CMinor said...

Desmond from Neferteeti, I presume! I refer to Proverbs 31:6-7.
Procure strong drink for a man about to perish,
wine for the heart that is full of bitterness:
let him drink and forget his misfortune, and remember his misery no more.

(Just kidding!;-))
Actually though we can't say for a fact that Jesus drank wine, I would assume he did, in moderation. That's why we have Communion. D didn't feel like chasing the fellow down to argue the point!
If you've noticed, on Neferteeti I pointed out that in ancient times in many places, drinking water or unfermented juice equalled taking your life into your hands because of germs and pollution. So drinking wine was commonplace.
My personal feeling (I drink almost no alcohol myself, but don't consider moderate use a sin)
is that moderate or medicinal use of wine is harmless as long as it remains moderate and does not lead to abuse of the substance.

7:34 PM  
Blogger CMinor said...

Still, you might want to consult a doctor when you get the chance. Medical advice is beyond my scope!

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home