Sunday, October 01, 2006

Genuine Evidence

If you have read past entries, you will know that I have tried to track down the original periodical The Genuine Islam. The periodical is often cited as having a passage by Irish author George Bernard Shaw lauding Islam. Previously, except for the quotation, I could find no trace of the periodical. In fact, the citation was often distorted, leading me to believe that few people had actually seen the original publication. Since there were no other mentions of the magazine that I could find except for the Shaw quote, I began to doubt the existance of the periodical and the passage. Well, I finally found that non-Shaw reference to the The Genuine Islam. Wardah books in Singapore scanned in an advertisement in March from an unspecified issue with the following explanation:

'Genuine Islam' was a magazine in the 1930s produced by the All-Malaya Muslim Missionary Society (now known as Jamiya), under the auspices of Maulana Abdul Aleem Siddique and Syed Ibrahim bin Omar al-Sagoff. Their editorial office was at 742 North Bridge Road [Singapore].

I will post more as I learn more.

Update 1/09: There is additional information on this question! Go here or to the full thread at the bottom of this post.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking myself for references for Shaw's often quoted comments on Islam I found your blog and remembered reading this, which may shed some light on Shaw‘s first meeting with the publisher of "Genuine Islam" magazine:

http://muslim-canada.org/shavian.htm

With regards

Abd al-Hafidh Wenztel

4:46 AM  
Blogger Avery said...

http://www.jamiyah.org.sg/

Here is their current website

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home